In 1901, the Siemens-Schuckert Werke obtained the water use permit for a hydropower project which was in principle similar to present plant. It was a diversion plant with 56 m gross head. However, no investor could be found to realise the project. Even the district town administration of Freistadt decided finally not to realise the plant, but to connect to the regional power grid of the ESG (Linzer Elektrizitäts- und Straßenbahngesellschaft, today Linz AG) for power supply to their town.
In 1922, Johann Blöchl, (farm name Hartmayr) applied for a water permit at the same location for a project with 7 meter head for power supply of his farm. The hearing for obtaining the wate use permit took place beginning of February and came to a positive conclusion.
Johann Pühringer, an electrician from St. Oswald submitted shortly before the hearing the project of the Siemens-Schuckert Werke and objected in due time to the project of Blöchl.
The Provincial Government of Upper Austria had to accept the appeal due to the much larger public interest of the bigger project. Blöchl could have appealed against this decision at the Federal Ministry level in Vienna. But instead, tough negotiations took place between the two applicants under the auspices of the District Commissioner of Freistadt. As a result, Blöchl disclaimed his right to appeal and was given in return a certain amount of free power per year as a compensation in kind for the Hartmayr farm. (Source: Johann Blöchl: Meine Lebenserinnerungen, 1972).
The power plant was constructed between 1922 and 1924. Mr. Pühringer took three farmers as partners into his company to be able to finance the project. However, prices escalated. One of the farmers lost his house and the two others lost their forests which they had given as collaterals. The power plant was commissioned on 29.05.1923 by the district authorities of Freistadt.
On 01.07.1924, electric power was supplied the first time to consumers.
In 1936, Leopold Greslehner of Lasberg acquired all shares of the company, the last ones from Mr. Johann Pühringer. He had been working as mechanic on the plant and gradually acquired all shares.
At that time, water was abstracted by a small weir and power was produced only by a single generation set of 110 kW capacity (which is still in use). Parts of Lasberg were supplied. A diesel generation set was installed in addition to ensure demand coverage during low water periods. The distribution grid was extended towards Bad Leonfelden. Later, a second turbine generation set was installed and a connection to the public grid of the ESG was constructed in Lest.
In 1956-1957, the dam was constructed on the Feistritz River. The small reservoir water level fluctuations enabled some flexibility in adapting the power generation to the varying energy demand and to supply to the grid at high tariff times.
On 28.03.2001, Klemens Greslehner sold the plant to Dr. Klaus Hellwig from Griesbach in Bavaria, after he had inherited the plant from this father.
Between 2001 and 2003, Hellig partly rehabilitated the plant. This included the installation of a new trash rack with mechanical rack cleaner, concrete lining of the surge tank, replacement of the penstock, replacement of the larger generation unit, new controls and a new transformer.
On 18.01.2006, Dr. Hellwig sold the plant to WEB Windenergie AG of Pfaffenschlag in the Waldviertel. They applied for the necessary permits for the rehabilitated plant and obtained them on 10.08.2007.
On 11.11.2010 the WEB Windenergie AG sold the plant to KWL, the Kraftwerk Lasberg GmbH, a 100% affiliate of the Posch & Partner GmbH, both being located in Innsbruck.